Child Support and Spouse Maintenance

York has extensive experience in advising and representing clients in dealing with the CSA

Child Support is an administrative process administered by the Child Support Agency. However, not all cases can fit a formula and parties can apply to change the child support in certain cases.  Parties also have the right to apply to the Court in certain cases for departure from child support where a party is not satisfied with the CSA decision.

York has extensive experience in advising and representing clients in dealing with the CSA during the administrative process as well as in representing clients in departure applications in Court.

York also can advise and assist clients in making applications for lump sum spouse maintenance and recovery of maintenance from abroad.

Parties can enter into Child Support Agreements or Binding Child Support Agreements so as to provide certainty as to the level of child support paid or payable. There are a number of ways that this can be achieved including the use of tax effective methods in paying child support from before tax dollars through the use of Child Maintenance Trusts. Feel free to contact us for further information and advice in this area.

Under the Family Law Act spouses have the right to support each other to the extent that one spouse has a need and the other has the capacity to pay. Spouse maintenance is difficult to achieve however York’s expertise can make the difference. Nabil acted for the wife in the largest lump sum spouse maintenance order made by the Family Court where at first instance the husband was ordered to pay the wife the sum of $3.75million. Whilst the payment was reduced slightly on appeal, the case is a reminder of how spouse maintenance can be effective to provide some compensation to a spouse that has been out of the workforce and devoted their time in rearing the parties children.

Family Law – Get Started Online